Monday, August 29, 2011

Appetizer or Dessert? You Tell Me.

I offer you this:



It smells a little like this:



And tastes a LOT like this:


 and this:
And for sure this:


We had a very special dinner tonight.  Lucas Burns is leaving L.A. tomorrow for graduate school in Georgia!  Hey, wait, I never thought of this, but Georgia peach -> peach -> nectarine, it was a THEME app!



Jere made his amazing, summer pasta dish for the family, with quinoa pasta, today's farmer's market tomatoes, red onion, red and green basil, (oh, the smell!), butter, parmesan cheese, and a dollop of cottage cheese on top.  Delish!
So I got these suckers ready for an appetizer, but as I posed earlier, they could easily be a dessert too, if you can bear waiting to shove them in your mouth.  Plus, they should be warm, so I had no choice tonight, timing-wise.  This dish is kind of, how do I describe it?  Uh, hmmm, well.....sexy.  That's the word, SEXY, they send you into another realm of existence, if I do say so myself.  And they are hard to resist, seriously.  They're the perfect dripping, salty/sweet combo, I defy anyone to not moan when you take a bite.

The boys diving in

Here's what you do:

Turn grill onto about 400 - 450 degrees

Halve ripe nectarines, (or peaches, if you like, but personally, I'm a sucker for a ripe nectarine, especially from the farmer's market)

First, put them skin side up, cut side down, you know what I mean, on the grill for 4 minutes

Flip 'em over

Fill them with a little blue cheese, (we used raw blue, easier to digest)

Grill 'em for 4 more minutes, or until the cheese starts to melt

Remove from grill

Drizzle with a little honey over the cheese-side of the nectarine, (again, we use raw honey, aren't we annoying?)

Serve, and try not to eat the entire platter, it's rude.

I think Gillian was happy she arrived when she did.



Good luck, Lukie!  We'll miss you so much. We've enjoyed every minute having you so close, being able to watch Henry grow up has meant the world, hanging with Bode during his "infant" stage, surfing with Daddy, and cleaning every single dish in my kitchen.  You're a good man, Lucas Burns, a top-notch brother, son, step-son, and friend, now go kick some film school ASS!

2 comments: